Osso Buco with Gremolata
adapted slightly from Candace at I Shot the Chef
6 veal shanks, 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
2 tablespoons olive oil (or more, as needed)
2 medium carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 medium stalks celery, diced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 stalks fresh rosemary
6 stalks fresh thyme
6 stalks fresh parsley
2 fresh bay leaves
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
3 cups veal, beef, chicken or turkey stock (preferably whatever you have homemade)
Fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Tie veal shanks with kitchen twine so they hold together during cooking.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the shanks in batches and brown well on all sides, adding more oil if necessary. Remove to a plate. Reduce heat to medium low and add the diced carrots, onions, celery and garlic and saute for 10 minutes, or until softened. Add the tomato paste and stir around for 1-2 minutes, until completely incorporated with the vegetables.
3. Prepare the bouquet garni: wrap the rosemary, thyme, parsley and bay leaves in cheesecloth. Secure with kitchen twine and add it to the pan. Return the shanks to the pan and arrange in a single layer as best you can. Add the white wine, 2 cups of stock, salt and pepper. The liquid should reach about halfway up the shanks.
4. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil and cover with the lid. Place in the oven and braise for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and add stock if needed to keep the liquid level halfway up the shanks. Braise until the meat is tender and offers no resistance when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 1 hour more.
5. When the veal is cooked, remove shanks to an ovenproof serving platter and keep warm in the oven. Remove and discard the bouquet garni. Spoon off any fat from the braising liquid and bring the juices to a boil over medium high heat until slightly thickened. Serve over the veal shanks and garnish with Gremolata.
Le Creuset French oven: christened.