Creamy Pasta Tuna Helper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces white or brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups stock or water
- 12-ounce package uncooked medium egg noodles
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrot, and mushrooms and season with salt, thyme, and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the mushrooms release their water and are brown.
Sprinkle the flour over everything, then add the milk and stock. Stir to combine. Add the noodles. Adjust the heat to a moderate simmer and cook, stirring often, until the noodles are tender and the liquid almost absorbed, about 8 minutes.
Reduce heat to low; add in the tuna, peas, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Another delicious, easy, healthier Helper at home meal. It’s funny: Steve and I lived off those when we were first married (er, maybe longer than that) and honestly, I never thought one day I would be the cook I turned out to be nor would it have ever occurred to me at the time to try making those boxed meals from scratch. I’m glad times have changed, to say the least.
Other Homemade Helper Recipes:
- Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper
- Chili Macaroni Hamburger Helper
- Lasagna Hamburger Helper
- Philly Cheesesteak Hamburger Helper
- Stroganoff Hamburger Helper