Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
with thanks to The Saucy Southerner
- 4 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen tater tots, thawed (I weigh out about 6 servings from the bag)
Heat oven to 400°F. Prepare a small casserole dish with a light coat of cooking spray.
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Drain bacon fat from skillet.
In same skillet, add the beef, onion, and garlic and cook over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain if necessary.
Stir in ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, salt, pepper, 1/4 of the crumbled bacon and 3/4 of the cheese.
Spoon into prepared casserole. Top with tater tots.
Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until bubbly around edges and potatoes are golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.
Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
When I saw this, I knew immediately Steve would go crazy for it, and he did. I’ve made it three times in the last five weeks and don’t plan on putting it off the menu anytime soon. So easy, so good!
Note: the original recipe was exactly double mine, but since I only needed four servings, I cut it right in half. It scales perfectly.