Shredded Chicken Chilaquiles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from can)
- 6 small corn tortillas, cut into approximately 1-inch squares
- 8 oz. shredded chicken
- 2 cups medium or hot salsa
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- Suggested toppings: chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, avocado, hot sauce
Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the corn tortillas and fry for 5-6 minutes, until browned and slightly crisp. Add chipotles and adobo sauce and gently mix in to coat the tortillas. Stir in salsa and shredded chicken.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, until mixture is hot. Remove from heat, top with cheese, and cover for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Serve with desired toppings and/or with scrambled eggs (or eggs and chorizo) on the side.
First couple of times I made this, I used tortilla chips instead of fresh tortillas. Big mistake. The fresh are far, far better here and so easy to do, it’s silly not to make the effort. I also originally made this with fried eggs on top, but we like the scrambled much more – a scoop of egg with avocado, sour cream, and a big bite of cheesy chickeny goodness just WORKS. A spectacular addition to my weekend brunch routine.