Kung Pao Ground Chicken
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon black soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the stir fry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) dry roasted peanuts
- 2/3 cup dried Chinese red or arbol chiles, heads cut off, left whole
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 large zucchini, finely diced
- 2 scallions, chopped
Combine the black soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, rice wine vinegar, water, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok (or large deep skillet) over high heat. Fry the peanuts in the hot oil for about 30 seconds, until golden brown; scoop out and set aside. In the same oil, fry the dried chiles for about 1 minute until crispy; remove and set aside.
Add the ground chicken, season with the salt and pepper, then stir fry, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it browns, for about 4 minutes, until mostly cooked through. Remove and set aside.
Add the other tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for a few seconds, then add the red bell pepper and zucchini and continue to stir fry for another 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
Add the sauce and cook until thickened, another minute. Add the chicken, peanuts, and chiles back to the pan and stir fry until everything is coated. Add the scallions, stir fry for only a few seconds, then turn off the heat.
Serve over white or brown jasmine rice with crushed chile flakes, if desired.
I’m a little bit in love with this dish. It is essentially my Kung Pao Chicken recipe, but with ground meat, different vegetables, and an easier and more streamlined cooking process – which makes me want to replace my original with this one for the foreseeable future!